Historical Background of the University College
Kaimosi Teachers Training College (TTC) is a predecessor of Kaimosi Friends University College that was established as a constituent College of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology, in 2014. Kaimosi TTC was established by the friends (Quakers) who came to Kenya in 1902 from U.S.A. The objective of the Friends Quakers was to provide spiritual growth, medical care and education to Christians converts.
The University College is situated in the Kaimosi complex which comprises other institutions including Kaimosi Friends Technical College, mission hospital, Primary school, Kaimosi Girls high school that are all sponsored and supported by the Friends Church of Kenya. The university College is located in Vihiga County and lies one kilometre from Kapsabet-Kisumu highway and is within 40km from both and Eldoret and therefore enjoys tropical climate with rains and warm temperature thought the year.
The University College derives its mandate from University Act 2012 No.42, of 13th December, 2012, which stipulates the objectives as follows.
- Advancement of knowledge through teaching, scholarship research and scientific investigation;
- Promotion of learning in the students body and society in general;
- Promotion of culture and societal life of society
- Support and contribution to realization of national economic and social development
- Promotion of high standards in and quality of teaching and research;
- Education, training and retraining high level professionals, technical and management personnel;
- Dissemination of outcomes of research conducted by the university to general community.
- Facilitation of life-long learning through provision of adult and continuing education
- Fostering of capacity for independent critical thinking among its students; and
- Promotion of gender balance and equality of opportunity among students and employees.
- Promotion of equalization for persons with disabilities, minorities and other marginalized groups.
- To contribute to agricultural, industrial and technological development of Kenya in collaboration with industrial and institutions through the transfer of appropriate technology;
- To develop and provide education, culture professional, technological and vocational services to the community and in particular, foster corporate social responsibility
- To provide programmers, products and services in ways that reflects the principles of equity and social justice;
- To facilitate student mobility between different programmers and different training institutions, universities and industry
- To foster the general welfare of all staff and students.